Monday 17 May 2010

this is just like television, only you can see much further


I looked out of the window of the 41 this afternoon and noticed that there was a tv remote control (an elderly, chunky one) on top of a bus shelter. As I saw 'Being There' the night before it got me wondering all sorts of things about coincidence.

'Being There' deals in part with people's tendency to look for meanings and make up their own when none can be found. The main character, as played splendidly by Peter Sellers, is called Chance. Chance is a blank. A man child who loves to watch TV. People start to 'project' what they want onto him. Eventually, they start to call him a genius and declare his every utterance to be profound. It's an unusual film - a lots of sad/funny going on.

At one point, some kids shout at Chance in the street and he produces his TV remote control from his coat pocket, presses buttons and wonders why they're still there. I'm wondering if something similar happened to a Norf London version of Chance whilst on a bus somewhere, hence the abandoned remote. Perhaps school bullies have moved on from taking their victim's PE kits and bus passes and are breaking into other kid's houses to steal their parent's stuff. That's taking bullying to a new low - not only would it mean humiliation for the victim, but it might also put them at serious risk of a parental bollocking.

Which reminds me of something I was pondering earlier - what is the female equivalent of 'stark bollock naked'? I don't think there is one. The only thing I can think of is 'stark top bollock naked' after the slightly icky (and biologically inaccurate) slang beloved of 'No Gurls' type laddish lads. I suppose there is no female equivalent of 'git', either though I think I once decided that it was 'gite', which is pronounced exactly the same as 'git' only with a fake French accent. Though I'd quite like it if it was 'git-ette' or 'gitelle'.

No comments:

Post a Comment